Alvaro is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at Yale. He got an undergraduate degree in Physics from UAM (Madrid) in 2003, and graduate degrees in Biophysics from the University of Minnesota and Brandeis, where he got his PhD in 2010. After a short postdoc at MIT, he started his own group at the Rowland Institute at Harvard as a Junior Fellow in 2013, and then moved to Yale in 2016. Alvaro is a Castilian from Zamora and an adoptive New Englander.
Alicia joins the lab in August 2016 as an Associate Research Scientist. Before joining our group she has hold appointments as a permanent staff scientist at the National Center for Biotechnology (CNB) in Madrid. She got her PhD in Biology at CSIC, and the core of her work has been in microbial physiology, cell division and antibiotic discovery. Alicia is from Madrid, Spain.
Djordje joined the lab in July 2016 as a postdoctoral fellow. He has an undergraduate degree in Biochemistry and a PhD in Biophysics, working with Juan Poyatos at CNB in Madrid. During his thesis work, he used a combination of computational and experimental approaches to understand the principles that connect genotype and phenotype in microorganisms. Djordje is from Belgrade, Serbia.
Nanxi joins the lab in September 2016 as a postdoctoral fellow. She got her PhD in Environmental Engineering at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. For the past two years, she has been a postdoc in Northwestern. She has a strong background in environmental microbiology and is interested in developing a quantitative understanding of microbial communities.
Jean is a graduate student in the EEB department at Yale. With us, he is studying how microbial cross-feeding may affect the discovery of evolutionary innovations. Jean got his undergraduate degree at Oxford and his M.S. at Imperial College in London.
FORMER LAB MEMBERS
- Melisa Osborne (Currently: Senior Scientist, Boston University)
Visiting Graduate Students
- Joshua Goldford (Daniel Segre's group, Boston University)
- Clarissa Scholes (Angela DePace's group, Harvard Medical School; See Clarissa's paper with us)
- Joseph Rauch (Jane Kondev's group, Brandeis University; See Joe's paper with us)
- Sandeep Choubey (Jane Kondev's group, Brandeis University; See Sandeep's paper )
- Hank Wikle (Drexel Univ)
- Diondra Peck (Harvard)
- Nikola Jovanovic (RIT Croatia)
- Emma Van Der Heide (Harvard)
COLLABORATORS AND FRIENDS
- Pankaj Mehta (Boston University)
- Jane Kondev (Brandeis University)
- Angela DePace (Harvard)
- Juan Poyatos (CNB Madrid)
- Daniel Segre (Boston University)
- Ido Golding (Baylor College of Medicine)
- Philipp Engel (Lausanne)
- Ryo Miyazaki (AIST Tsukuba)
- Kyle Harrington (University of Idaho)
- Michael Tikhonov (Harvard)
- Matteo Cavaliere (Edinburgh)